I've found that cauliflower makes a great alternative for the Thai dishes I like to prepare.
Creating the 'rice'
Step 1: Steam some cauliflower (I use a rice / vegetable steamer) and let it cool so it's warm to the touch. Don't overcook it.
Step 2: Toss it into your food processor using a 'ricing' blade. Like this one.
The rest of the dish:
We always try to have some pre-grilled chicken ready to go for salads, sandwiches, quesadillas, snacks etc.. We'll grill up 6-8 breasts and put it in the fridge for a few days worth of meals.
- Slice up a breast and a half of the pre-grilled chicken into thin strips.
- Using the same ricing blade on the food processor, rice up 2 medium raw carrots
- Toss the carrots and about 3-5 cloves of minced garlic into a pan with some olive oil and sauté a bit.
- Toss in the chicken strips. Add a bit more olive oil.
- Toss in an large handful of baby spinach and saute until the spinach starts to wilt in the pan.
- Mix (in a bowl) a small jar of this curry paste and 1 can of coconut milk. Turn down the heat and let simmer.
Spoon your cauliflower 'rice' into a bowl and spoon the above over it. Viola!